Monday, October 13, 2014

Book Blog #3 Wellendorf

Ben Wellendorf
Composition 105

Columbine
Dave Cullen
Hachette Book Group 2009
416 Pages

“Eric and Dylan planned to be dead shortly after the weekend, but Friday night they had a little work to do: one last shift at Blackjack.” (pg. 16)


This quote really made me shiver in a sense, because of everything that went on with the Columbine shooting.  It made me realize that these guys planned this attack and had time to think about everything going on, and they still did it.  I feel like if I was in Eric and Dylan’s shoes, I would have gotten scared knowing I was going to be dead soon and the fact that they planned a shooting and a bombing, I wouldn’t have been able to do it.

This book bounces back and forth with before and during the shooting and the lives of the survivors now.  I really enjoy this book, because I wasn’t alive when this happened, so I didn’t know a lot of the details that went on, so now I know.  I didn’t know that they actually were planning to bomb the school, but when the bombs didn’t go off, they just went in for the massacre.  I also didn’t realize that before, they thought the shooters targeted jocks, Christians, and minorities, but really, they just randomly shot and killed random students.  The main parts, though, for the first part of the book was just describing the two killers,  Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.  Eric Harris was a psychopath and Dylan was a kid who was depressed, and when he was depressed, he was very angry and aggressive.  It was really interesting learning about them and their desired plans.  

Overall, I really enjoy reading this book, and I’m really excited for what’s going to happen next.  The book itself is very sad, because of the whole shooting and killing of students and teachers, but it’s interesting to read about what is all going on.  I have learned a lot more about the shootings at Columbine and the real stories.  I’m really excited to keep reading the book, and I feel like I’ll learn even more.

1 comment:

  1. Good combination of your reaction and the information from the story. Is "excited" really how you feel?

    ReplyDelete