Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Book Blog #4 Wellendorf

Ben Wellendorf
Composition 105

Columbine
Dave Cullen
Hachette Book Group 2009
416 Pages

SWAT teams searched the building for over three hours, but the killers were lying dead the entire time. They had committed suicide in the library at 12:08, forty-nine minutes after beginning the attack." (Chapter 17, p. 83).


This quote hits me hard, even though it was earlier in the book.  It shows me how long they were attacking, and it just sends a chill down my back because they killed themselves together.  I don’t know what it would even be like to kill someone, let alone kill yourself with a friend.  It’s just scary to even think about what is going on inside these boys’ head.

The second half of the book bounced back and forth with people’s life story from after Columbine, and bounces back to the actual shooting.  It described how that they were planning on bombing the schools with propane tanks and how they went and bought the propane tanks.  They tried to set them off in the lunchroom, but since they didn’t go off, they just went back into their car and picked up guns they also had.  They weren’t targeting the jocks or anything, it was just random.  It also went into detail with parents of some kids there and one case was a parent saw their kids dead body on front lawn.  The police wouldn’t allow for the body to move, so the body sat there for 28 hours.  The people’s stories afterwards were interesting to hear, especially some of them that were in the shooting.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book.  It was so interesting to read about the life stories and the shooting, because I was not born yet when this happened, so I guess I didn’t know a lot about it.  I didn’t like what was going on, but I liked listening to the details of what all happened and what not.  The stories with the people was very interesting too, because they talked about how their life changed and how long it took for them to adapt to what happened.  I would be the same way, and I would be terrified to even go into a school, because I would scared it would happen again.  I could relate to how they acted, because I feel like I would be the exact same way.

No comments:

Post a Comment