Sunday, October 12, 2014

Zach Riddle #3

The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference
Malcolm Gladwell
Little Brown and Company
259 Pages

“We imitate each other’s emotions as a way of expressing support and caring and, even more basically, as a way of communicating with each other.”(page 84)

This quote was very interesting to me. The more I thought about it, the more I began to realize how true this really is. When I am around people that are I enjoy, we feed off of each other. When one person starts laughing, it is contagious and spreads to the entire group. When I am around someone that I do not care for, I tend to be more quiet and try to keep the talking to a minimum.
When I am reading this book, I make a lot of connections to Outliers. The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference talks about how all the small things that you do every single day makes a huge difference in being happy, successful, and intelligent. Outliers was all about being successful and how much work it takes to get to the top. In Outliers, all of the people who were successful made small goals every day in order to get to their long term goals. This ties in directly with The Tipping Point. In order to be successful, you need to do little things every day to push you over the edge of competition. 
I think that the most important thing that can be taken from the quote is the power of communication. I think that the youngest generation today has trouble communicating face to face. Children today are more use to being on personal devices instead of talking to people directly. In internship class, we were told that eighty percent of the jobs today are not listed on the internet. We were also told that most people get good jobs by having previous connections with people. This means that in order to tip the scale, it is essential to have good communication skills in order to make connections. By reading about communication in The Tipping Point and then learning about it in class, it tells me that communication is an important skill that I need to know and be good at. I don’t think that communication is my strong suit, but after hearing how important it is, I will definitely put more time and effort to improve that skill.
Malcolm Gladwell presents great examples of his personal opinions on what he thinks it takes to push you over the edge in The Tipping Point. I think that the most important trait that needs to be taken from the first half of the book is mastering the art of communication. My parents are always yelling at me for not listening and not talking to them on a regular basis. Now that I am seeing that it is important to be a good communicator from multiple people and reading it in The Tipping Point, I will definitely be putting much more time and effort into communication.  

No comments:

Post a Comment