Friday, November 28, 2014

Book Blog #6

Hayley Boes
Composition 105

Insurgent
Veronica Roth
HarperCollins Publishers, Incorporated; 2012
314 pages

“Do remember, though, that sometimes the people you oppress become mightier than you would like.” (Page 309)

This quote describes the second half of Insurgent perfectly. The Erudite faction controlled everybody because they had secret information about each faction that they could use to their advantage. They also knew how to control everybody in each faction with simulations. The Dauntless and factionless were sick of being controlled by Erudite and decided to fight back. Erudite wasn’t scared at first because they felt so powerful, but they overestimated their power and underestimated the Dauntless and factionless power. Because of this, the Dauntless and factionless ended up winning control and exposing “the truth”- a world outside of the city limits.

Tris, the main character of Insurgent, continued to show her bravery and crazy courage throughout the second half of the book. The Erudite threatened to kill a member of Dauntless every day until a Divergent member turned themselves in. Tris, being as brave as she is, decided that she must stand up for her Dauntless faction and turn herself in as Divergent in order for Erudite to stop killing her friends. Tris was aware that the Erudite would kill her, but she was willing to die because her parents died for her. Tris later found out that the Erudite also took her love, Tobias. Tris was no longer willing to die because she felt the need to save Tobias. On Tris’ execution day, an Erudite member, who was once Tris’ enemy, ended up saving Tris’ life. This Erudite member, Peter, helped Tobias and Tris escape the Erudite headquarters and joined the two, along with the Dauntless and factionless, in fighting against Erudite.

Insurgent was a nickname given to the rebel Dauntless and factionless who were fighting against the government because the word ‘insurgent’ literally means a rebel or revolutionary. The main theme of Insurgent is to fear nothing and stand up for what you believe in. The Dauntless and factionless were tired of being controlled by Erudite and decided to change things by overtaking the Erudite control and revealing the Erudite’s secret of an outside world. The Dauntless and factionless were not afraid of Erudite’s arrogant power and fought against them in order to expose the truth because they believed that everyone should know about the outside world.

I can’t say that I can relate with the theme of this book because I haven’t been placed in a situation where I’ve had to fight for what I believe in yet. I think that’s why I find Tris’ character so interesting. She is the complete opposite of me and I admire her bravery. If I find myself in a situation where I must fight for what I believe in, I will remember Tris’ courage and try to use that sense of courage myself.

Because I have been a huge fan of the first book and movie of this trilogy, I thoroughly enjoyed Insurgent just as much as I loved Divergent. I would recommend this book for boys and girls ages ten to twenty. Girls would probably enjoy this book more though because of the romantic side of Tris and Tobias’ relationship. Because each book of this trilogy is being turned into a movie, I would also highly recommend this book for lovers of action movies.

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really good book. I like how detailed you were in writing this and how you explained things perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog, and I love the part that says "fear nothing and stand up for what you believe in" because it pertains to everyday life. You did a great job of explaining the quote she chose. She explains this quote in the first paragraph and ties it in the entire blog as well. Throughout and especially towards the end, you gave your opinion on what was happening, and you used specific events throughout so I could understand what was happening. This was a great blog and seems like a book I should maybe read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The detail and connection you have put in this blog was good. However, you are right this does seem more like a ladies' type of book

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a very good blog, and it went very in depth in all the areas. You had a good summary of the book, and even though you couldn't personally relate to it, you tied in your opinion of the story. I probably wouldn't read it, but this blog would definitely influence others to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good quotation at the beginning and good job at tying the quotation into the rest of your blog. Good summary and nice analysis. Good description throughout your blog. Seems like this would be a good read. Good overall job on your blog.

    ReplyDelete