Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Cody Wardell- Tim Tebow: Through My Eyes by Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker --- Book Blog #5

Cody Wardell
Composition 105


Tim Tebow: Through My Eyes
by Tim Tebow with Nathan Whitaker
Copyright 2011 by Timothy R. Tebow
260  pages


“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. -Philippians 4:13, NKJV  ”(37)


This quote comes from the beginning of chapter 5 in this book. Every chapter in this book starts out with a verse from the bible. I like this verse the best because you see most athletes using it as their motivation. So it’s the quote I am most familiar with. The reason that each chapter starts out with a bible verse is because Tim Tebow is a very religious person.
Tim Tebow’s father is a pastor. In the first half of this book, the Tebow family makes many trips to the Philippines where Tim’s father owns an orphanage and a church there. Tebow and his siblings  spends a lot of his time playing with the children from the orphanage as his father preaches around the Philippian community. This book is so interesting because it is so motivational and religious and the mix of both through the eyes of a young football star make it so interesting.
The book starts out with Tebow’s first experience at the Heisman Trophy Awards. The winner of this trophy ends up being Sam Bradford, Quarterback for the University of Oklahoma. Then a month later, the Florida Gators, Tim Tebow’s team, plays Sam Bradford and the University of Oklahoma. It was the battle of some of the best QB’s in the game that season. The Florida Gator’s end up winning 24-14 and take the 2008 NCAA Division l Championship. Tim Tebow had decided the night that he lost the Heisman trophy to Bradford, that he would take it to Oklahoma in the championship and that’s exactly what he did. The first half of the book also talks about Tebow’s struggle and his father's struggle with dyslexia in the early stages of his life. It also went through Tebow’s high school career up to his decision to be a Florida Gator and all the journeys he took to get there.
The part where Tebow talked about how people think that if they follow in the footsteps of God that they should get the best life and I like this part. He would go on to disagree with that by saying that every person should go through some difficult times to find out what they are made of and how struggle teach people to grow up. He said in times of desperate struggle that people need to turn towards God just like he always does. He also talks about that everyone was created equal but God didn’t creat us to follow in the image of someone else and to live your own life. You can tell throughout the first half of this book that Tebow has a deep and passionate love for God and it’s truly inspirational.
I would recommend this book to people that want to be motivated or people who are any sports fan. It has kinda made me look at my life as a blessing and that I really should thank certain people in my life for all that they do for me. I always kinda thought Tim Tebow was cocky but after reading the first half of this book I see him way differently. I do recommend this book to people because so far, I love it.

1 comment:

  1. quotation, not quote. Good use of specific details, but most of this is plot summary. Develop the personal response part further.

    ReplyDelete