Sunday, November 30, 2014

Zach Riddle American Savior #2

Zach Riddle
Composition 105

American Savior
Roland Merullo
312 Pages
Algonquin Books of Chapel Hill

“Your job,” he said, “ my journalist friend, is to bring the news into peoples lives, to write this down the way it happened . All of it. The good, the bad, the confusing. Do not paint yourself and the rest of your colleagues as something you are not. And do not change my words or my behavior by so much as a single comma. Will you do that?” Page 311

Russ is asked by Jesus to do this simple yet complicated task as he walks away at the end of the book. It would be so simple for Russ Thomas, the narrator of the story, to manipulate and change what happened while he is telling other people. When Jesus and Russ talked, they were always by themselves so he could say whatever he wanted now that Jesus is gone and out of the picture.
I think that this quote is very important, because it shows that Roland Merullo believes the media presents everything with a biased attitude. The media try to persuade people from the truth to get them to believe what the media wants them to believe. I think most of the message within in the book is directed toward the people within the media and how they need to act. Media people should tell the truth how it happened with no political biassed at all, but that is not how the media is today.
When Jesus says, “...do not change my words or my behavior by so much as a single comma,” I immediately thought of the bible. In one of the final chapters of Revelations, it talks about how nothing should be changed within the bible without great consequences. There should also be nothing added or taken away from the bible without great consequences. This makes me curious as to if Merullo did his research and pulled information from the bible, or if it is just a coincidence. There were other parts of the book that had small ties to the Bible, but none were as significantly similar as this exact quote was.
American Savior was one of the most entertaining books I have ever read and would suggest it to everyone. As a Christian, this book brings up some interesting questions as to how Jesus would handle some of the political situations on Earth today if he were to run for president like the death penalty and other controversial topics.

5 comments:

  1. This book does not sound too interesting for me personally but the reflection was pretty good. The quote at the beginning was a good choice for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! Way to bring the quote into your blog. Maybe a little bit more analyzing, but overall very good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some more personal connections could be used. However, it was still a good summary of the book. It sounds like very interesting, and I may have to read it one day. Bible is always supposed to be capitalized, and it switches back and forth throughout the blog. Other than that it was a very good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your quote that you began the book blog with and I also liked how you explain the quote later. I would say you could have done a little recap about the plot of the book because I was a little confused about what was going on. Otherwise, I really like the connections that were made and how you talked about the media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a strong Christian, I think it would be very interesting to hear about how Jesus would handle the problems of the world today if he were living in our society. I agree with Zach's stance on the media's impact on our society today and the huge role they play in affecting people's attitudes and behaviors about certain situations. I would love to read this book and learn about how Jesus would approach the political controversies of our world today. It's amazing to imagine just how many problems could be fixed if Jesus were alive today and telling our government how to handle things.

    ReplyDelete