Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Caleb Horsley Training A Tiger Book blog part 2

Caleb Horsley
Training A Tiger
Earl Woods and Pete McDaniel
HarperCollins Publisher
95-184

    “You get out of golf what you put into it. There are no shortcuts.” (129)
    In the second half of Training A Tiger, Earl Woods finishes up talking about how to make a proper full swing. A golfer should always stand behind the ball to start and observe the target. This is referred to as the “think box” because a golfer thinks about hazards, wind, and where they want to hit the ball. Waggling the club can also help loosen tension in the body before a swing. When someone is swinging, the club should never go past parallel to the ground. When the club is going down toward the ball, a person’s hand should be in front of the ball on impact so that the club hits the ball squarely and goes straight. In order for the ball to go straight, there must be a lot of practice.
    Practice is the most important part of the game of golf because it takes endless hours to become good. Golf, like anything else in life, take time to perfect. Lots of time. Thousands of hours can be spent on the game of golf, and someone still might not be good enough to play professionally. If a golfer want to improve their game, practicing will surely help. I can relate to this because I am in golf right now. I am not the best golfer in the world, but I enjoy to play the game. It is frustrating to hits poor shots and have high scores, so I have been practicing more lately. I have already seen my average score drop from 56 to a 50. I have already taken six strokes off my game, and I still have more areas to improve on. It could be as simple as moving a few inches farther away from the ball to a more complex thing like twisting your hips as the club is swinging. No matter how good a golfer is, there is always room for improvement.
    Along with being a game to enjoy, golf is very much a proper sport. There is a golf etiquette that golfers are expected to follow while on the course. Golf etiquette rules are all unwritten rules that golfers are still expected to follow. The book mentions about 25 rules that are considered good golf etiquette. They include a wide variety of things like never run on the putting green, take one or two practice swings only, replace all divots, rake the bunkers, never throw a club, and many others. One pet peeve that I have while on the golf course is when a player take five years to take a shot. They take five or six practice swings, readjust their glove, and recheck the target. It makes for a very slow round of golf, and most golfers, including myself, like to play faster.
    I have really enjoyed reading Training A Tiger because I like to play the game of golf and the book interested me. I am an average golfer, so a lot of the tips in the book could be applied to my game so I can improve. I have taken some of the tips and tried them out of the golf course, and the tips proved to improve my game. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is trying to get better at golf or any parent who is trying to teach their kid/s how to play golf. I would also recommend it to any person who is an avid fan of golf and just wants to learn more about the game. I was pleasantly surprised by this book because I expected a book more about Tiger Wood’s accomplishments, but it was more about the fundamentals and it really helped out my game.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Add a quote at the beginning of the blog possibly, but other than that, great!

    ReplyDelete