Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Caleb Horsley- Training A Tiger Part I

Caleb Horsley
Training A Tiger
Earl Woods and Pete McDaniel
HarperCollins Publisher
1-94

    “In order to get an athlete to perform a sport instinctively, you must start the learning process when the child is young enough so that the performance of the game is totally ingrained and flows from the subconscious.”
    Tiger Woods has been interested in the game of golf since he was just an infant. Five days before his first birthday, Woods received his first golf golf club from his father. At two years, eight months Tiger Woods is seen in pictures practicing shots from a bunker. The coordination required to play golf at the age of two is incredible. Tiger’s father never forced him to play the game of golf, but Tiger loved the challenge involved with golf.
    Tiger’s father, Earl, talks about the importance of not forcing a child to play or practice a sport. When children are forced to practice sports, they aren’t playing them for the pure joy of the sport. In my life I often see parents who force their kids to practice certain sports because the parent want their child to succeed in a certain sport. I don't understand why a parent would do that because it takes the fun out of the game for a child. If a child plays a sport because he wants to, that child will want to be more willing to practice the sport and play it in their free time. Tiger loved the game of golf and at the age of four called his dad while he was working and asked to practice golf. Woods had the love for the game that made him want to get better and practice.
      I can relate to Woods because I used to play baseball and started at a very young age. I played baseball ever since I could walk. I played on a traveling baseball team for five summers and we played close to 40 games a summer. I loved playing for the Carroll Cougars, but when it was time to be on the high school team, I didn't want to play anymore. I had been burnt out from all the long summers I had previously played and I wanted to be able to have a job. My dad loved watching the baseball games and was sad to see me not go out, but he never forced me to go out for baseball. After reading this book, I appreciate that my dad let me decide and didn't make me play a sport I no longer wanted to play.
    Along with having a passions for the game at a young age, Tiger Woods was a very quick learner. The head pro at Santa Ann Country Club told Woods his backswing was going back too far. The head pro told Woods to not go past parallel and since then, Tiger has not. Tiger also needed to learn the correct way to hold and swing a club. With a little help from Earl, Tiger was able to master these challenges with ease.
    So far, this book has been a little bit of a biography from Tiger Wood’s childhood mixed with instructions for how to do the basic things of golf like grip, chipping, putting, and driving. It has not been a biography about Tiger Woods and his career in golf like I thought it would be. Although this book isn’t what I thought it would be, I enjoy the book because I play golf and it has been interesting for me. I am an average golfer and I have picked up some new tips from this book. I am excited to see how these tips could help me during the golf season this year. I would recommend this book for avid golf fans who are looking to learn more about the basics of the game of golf or to anyone who wants to learn more about golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment