Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Cooper LaRue, The Mick Book Blog #2

Cooper LaRue
Ms. Gach
p. 121-248
The Mick by Mickey Mantle


Still, there are some who will say, “What a racket. Baseball’s a snap.” They see us playing a two-hour game and figure that’s it. But behind the scenes we arrive at the park three hours before the game. If it didn’t go into extra innings, we’d finish about six in the evening. For a night game, we were suited up by five and home around midnight. (154)


The second part of the book is mostly about his professional career. The first part was about his young life and it went into his minor league play but this is when he becomes famous. My quote is about how much time he had to put into baseball. He talks about the dedication you must have to be a professional athlete and this is not easy. It takes a lot more work than it appears to become a professional player. I play high school baseball and I think I spend a lot of time playing baseball. I have spent countless weekends and nights playing baseball throughout the years and that is just for a high school player. Currently I am on a spring league team to get ready for the high school season and that is a major commitment. I am also currently in track so having two sports going on at one time is a major commitment. Many weekends we play two games on both Saturday and Sunday. So playing four entire games a weekend requires a lot of time. To become a professional player Mickey played this many games almost year around once he got out of high school. He did not go to college because he was drafted into the minor leagues right away.
He was brought up to the real Yankees team in 1951 and stayed there for the rest of his career. He was a great player who had great arm strength, he was a strong power hitter and he was lightning fast. Some teammates joked about how they could hit .500 if they were as fast at Mickey. He was clocked at running from home plate to first base in 3.1 seconds and this record still holds today. I think that I can run to first base fast but 3.1 seconds is unreal. That little time would make it nearly impossible to throw him out if he had a slow grounder to shortstop or third base. In 1953 he hit the farthest home run in baseball history. He hit the ball 565 feet. This is about 200 feet over the fence. I have seen a lot of home runs in baseball but rarely do they go more than 20 feet over the fence. Mickey’s hit is knows as the “tape measured home run” because it went so far past the fence they had to measure it out.
From here on he started hitting boomed and he hit a total of 536 home runs in his 18 year career. Surprisingly this number does not even put him in the top three on the all time homerun list but is is still a great accomplishment. I have nearly hit 3 home runs in my life and I think that is a lot. None of them even went over but I think they were close enough. I would be happy if I hit one home run this year and in some seasons Mickey hit 52. He also played in 12 world series game, and 7 of them he won. This would be like me winning the state tournament every year of my high school career. I just want to make it to the state tournament this year and that would be a big accomplishment. Mickey mantle is known as one of the greatest players ever to live because of his long and successful career. He holds numerous records and he will not be forgotten in baseball history.

4 comments:

  1. Mantle has always been an interesting character to me very interesting good job boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write very well about one of the greatest players to ever play the game of baseball. Superb job on the opening quote and an even better job on the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job, I like how you relate your life to the book, and the quote works with both your summary and your life. You make the book and Mickey Mantle seem very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good summarization of the book, good connection to your own life, In the opening line after the quote be sure to put Mantle instead of he so that people don't get confused

    ReplyDelete