Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Wellendorf Blog #10

Ben Wellendorf
Composition 106

Derek Jeter- The Life You Imagine
Derek Jeter & Jack Curry
Crown Publishers
279 Pages


“I love when people doubt me.  It makes me work harder to prove them wrong.” (pg. 200)

The reason I chose this quote is because this quote has always been one of the quotes I’ve lived my life off.  This quote is especially close to home for me in football.  Football has always been my favorite sport easily.  In 8th grade, I broke my wrist and never played.  I seriously considered quitting because I thought that I got so screwed over, which made me not even want to play.  After a little talk with my parents, I ended up trying my hardest to prove my 8th grade coaches wrong that they should have played me.  I was a 5’10 starting inside linebacker at 190 pounds, which is very small.  I started two years in a row, earning multiple honors both years and even all-state honors my senior year.  I’m very proud of how I worked and how I proved them wrong.  

The second half of this book was fantastic.  I know throughout the book, I kept relating to myself.  For example, the quote above.  I could have went into a lot more depth about the proving wrong situation, but I won’t bore you with that.  Derek Jeter was always a very motivated person.  Like I said last book blog, he said he wanted to be a New York Yankee shortstop, and he ended up being the best shortstop to ever play for the Yankees.  Another tip Jeter had was having a great support system.  I think that is huge in having success.  Your parents have to be on board with everything you do, and have to be cheering for you to be successful for yourself to be successful.  If you have parents who tell you that you won’t be able to do that, or that you won’t amount to anything, that’s obviously not going to help you in the long run.  You would get unmotivated.  Luckily, Jeter’s parents supported him extremely which helped him so much.

Overall, I loved this book.  One of my favorite books that I have ever read.  It gave me so many good life pointers that I won’t forget.  This book was one of the books that I could not put down.  I think I finished this book a long time before our deadline, which is very rare for me.  I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates the game of baseball, Derek Jeter, or even if you just want to get good pointers from someone who knows what they’re talking about.  Multiple times, I could relate to Jeter, and that made this book extra special to me.  I wrote down a lot of the tips on a piece of paper and have it hanging up in my room so I see that everyday to keep motivated to not only be the best person I can be, but also be able to finish out the school year strong.  

2 comments:

  1. Everyone needs a couple life pointers. It does me good to know that you enjoy reading for once.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You picked a nice quotation that you related very well to the rest of the book blog and yourself. You did a good job of relating the story to your own life and giving good analysis.

    ReplyDelete